As you age, your teeth are exposed to foods and drinks that stain them. Though your teeth may be perfectly healthy, they can appear damaged and make you look older. Fortunately, if you have deep stains or want to achieve a brighter smile quickly, CarolinasDentist has teeth-whitening options that can help you acquire a beautiful, youthful-looking, bright smile.
Types of Tooth Stains
Tooth stains fall into two categories: extrinsic and intrinsic. Extrinsic stains are the yellow and brown stains that occur on the surface of your teeth. Intrinsic stains occur inside your teeth, making them appear gray or blue. Some surface stains can be removed with whitening toothpastes and over-the-counter teeth-whitening kits. However, these approaches are limited and can be painful or can cause tooth and gum sensitivities. Professional-grade products are needed to remove deeper extrinsic and intrinsic stains and to treat individuals with sensitive teeth and gums.
Professional Teeth-Whitening Options
There are several approaches to teeth bleaching that our Fayetteville and Southern Pines dentists can use to help you whiten your smile by eight to 14 shades in a short amount of time.
- In-office teeth bleaching: During your office visit, our dentists will apply to your teeth the teeth-bleaching agent, typically in the form of a gel, then will use a whitening lamp to accelerate the bleaching process. Standard visits last 90 minutes.
- At-home teeth bleaching: Our dentists will provide you with a teeth-bleaching gel and a mouthguard to put it in that has been customized to your bite. They will then assign a teeth-bleaching regimen for you to follow. Results typically take a little longer than the in-office option; however, the process takes place within the comfort and convenience of your own home. It typically takes 10 to 14 days to achieve the desired results with this method.
Our Whitening Systems
We use the following teeth-bleaching system to help you achieve a bright white smile:
Opalescence Boost is a chemically activated power whitening gel that provides brighter, whiter teeth after just 40 minutes in the dental chair. The powerful 40% hydrogen peroxide gel is chemically activated, so it doesn’t require a hot, uncomfortable light to work. Using the unique double-syringe configuration, the clinician activates the 40% hydrogen peroxide formula just prior to application, ensuring every dose of Opalescence Boost is fresh and effective.
- Chemically activated, so no light is needed
- Powerful 40% hydrogen peroxide gel
- Fresh chemical for each application
- Opalescence tooth whitening gel contains PF (potassium nitrate and fluoride). Potassium nitrate has been shown to help reduce sensitivity.
Fluoride has been shown to help reduce caries and strengthen enamel. Together they help to improve the overall health of the teeth.